- 3 out of 4 adults believe in God: 76% believe in God, 14% don’t believe in God, and 10% are not sure.
- Young adults aged 18-29 are the least likely to believe in God. Only 63% believe in God. A full 25% don’t believe in God, and 12% are not sure, for a total of 37% God doubters/deniers. That’s 2 out of 5! Compare this to other age groups:
- 30-44 = 14% atheist
- 45-64 = 9% atheist
- 65+ = 6% atheist
Atheism increases 50% or more from generation to generation. If this trend continues, the next generation of young adults may contain more God doubters/deniers than believers.
- The typical atheist profile is a white male Democrat postgraduate living in the Northeast.
- White people are 150% more likely to be an atheist than black people (15% vs. 6%), and 50% more likely than Hispanics (15% vs. 10%).
- Males are more likely to be atheist than females (15% vs. 9%).
- More atheists live in the Northeast than the South (18% vs. 10%).
- Postgraduates are 60% more likely to be atheist than high school drop-outs (18% vs. 11%).
- Democrats are 60% more likely to be atheist than Republicans (16% vs. 10%).
- Some people are just confused
- 1% of self-identified Protestants are atheists
- 4% of self-identified Catholics are atheists
- 7% who identify as “other Christians” are atheists
- Among Protestants, 1% identify as atheists.
- 22% of Jews are atheists (only 57% believe in God)
- 8% of atheists and agnostics believe in God.