- What do you mean by “hypocrite?” (You want to make the point that a hypocrite is not merely someone who is morally imperfect, but someone who says he believes X but purposely fails to practice X)
- Yes, there are hypocrites in the church. Jesus told us there would be. But Jesus wasn’t a hypocrite. What do you think about Jesus?
- Yes, there are hypocrites in the church. Jesus told us there would be. But there are also genuine Christians who are following Jesus. Why do you choose to let the hypocrites dictate your response to Christianity rather than the true followers of Jesus?
- What does that have to do with you? Couldn’t Christianity still be true even if a lot of confessing Christians are bad people? The question God is concerned with is not what others do, but what you believe and how you live.
- Are you saying that because other people fail to live up to their ideals you don’t have to even try?
- If you can’t tolerate all the hypocrites in church, why not follow Jesus independently of a local church body—to avoid all of those immoral Christians? (This will get them to tell you the real reasons they are not a Christian)
Do you have any more to add to the mix?